Thursday, July 2, 2009

My mat

Sleep is essential. How come when I am having a good night's sleep, Mia wakes up at 12:30 and then again at 4:30 and then when she sleeps until 3:00 am, I lay in bed wide awake for most of the night? I am like a walking zombie today. I can't wait to go home, play with the little one, put her to bed, and then hit the hay myself. I am so looking forward to that moment.

-------
Most people know that I have been practicing yoga for over five years and it has become an integral part of my life. Since Mia has been born, getting to a yoga class has proven to be difficult. So when I started back to work, I started going to some noon classes that are close to the Law School. It's great to practice in the middle of the day. I can forget what I've been doing all day and not think about what I have to do for the rest of the day. It's a nice, needed break. Yesterday, I went to Jenn's yoga class at
Dharma Yoga yesterday. The studio has moved into a new space on Guadalupe which is a hop, skip, and a jump away from work. I practiced with Jenn all throughout my pregnancy and she was so helpful. It's nice to get to take her class without my big belly in the way. Yesterday, before she started class, she said that she always wonders what brings people to their mats on any particular day. Lately, the thing that brings me to my mat is if I can actually get to a class, then I'm there! But the reality is that my mat is a place for me where I can truly be myself and not have to worry what other people think or say. My mat is one of the only places that I can honestly call my own. No one else can stake any kind of claim to it. My mat is my own personal space where no one can bother me with phone calls or emails. Basically, what brings me to my mat is that it is all mine and I feel good about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment